Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fragmentation of the digital forensics community

From the forums:

I started in the digital forensics community about five years ago, and I already feel old, and I am a Johnny-come-lately. This post may come off as a “Hey, you kids, get offa my lawn!” rant. Rather than a rant, I really hope that people start talking about a way to find a small number of safe lawns for all the kids to play on.


In those five years I’ve noticed that the computer forensics community has become *less* supportive, not more supportive. This runs contrary to trends to other communities such as software engineering tools, web frameworks, and startups. I have some feelings and thoughts on why this is. I wish I had some good ideas on how to turn this trend around.

I think there are four major problems:

1) Fragmentation of the sites supporting the community.

When I showed up, there was Forensic Focus, the CCE list, and HTCIA. (And other people probably had their three or four sources that don’t overlap with mine.) Now, I’ve got Forensic Focus, CCE, HTCIA, HTCC, DFCB, wn4n6s, and a host of OS and tool specific sites. Then there is LinkedIn, with an almost one to one mapping of all the external groups, plus subgroups, plus additional new groups not represented elsewhere.It seems that everyone wants their own lawn to play on rather than contributing to the health of an existing lawn. How often have you seen a post along the lines of “Hey, I set up a new forensics wiki! Come check it out and help it grow!” Or found yet another computer forensics LinkedIn group?

This leads to two related problems: Where do you post, and where do you go looking for information? I belong to a lot of the mailing lists and use my personal mail archive as a research tool when I have questions, but that doesn’t reach into the various web based forums. And if I want to post a question, where does it go? Some people blast every mailing list they’re on, hoping for an answer. And the more we balkanize, the more likely those questions are to go unanswered.

I still use FF and the CCE list mostly, but then there are items #2 an #3...

Read more at http://www.forensicfocus.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7442

2 comments:

Maria I. Cohen said...

I wish I could find some flaw in your thinking or comments, unfortunately, you are correct in your assessment of the current state of the digital/computer forensic community at this time. Hopefully with the standardization of education, certifications and/or experience for the field, the community will come together much as the medical and legal communities that came before us did.

Braydon said...

Hopefully with the standardization of education, certifications and/or experience for the field, the community will come together much as the medical and legal communities that came before us did.
=====================================
web design